“41 Superfoods for Power Eating”

Working in a library has some cool perks. For example, you wouldn’t believe the number of interesting books that cross my hands each and every day. To be honest, there’s so many of them which have never even crossed my mind before. It’s like being exposed to different music or cultures without your say. I rather like it.

Anyway, many of the reads I bring home with me are centered around bicycling, training, eating, breadmaking, and stories about “how fat people got thin (or didn’t).” Of course, I never have any time to actually read them. I just skim them for the good stuff since school demands my actual reading attention.

Today, I brought home two books. One is called Fat Girl: A True Story by Judith Moore and the other is Eat Smart Play Hard by Liz Applegate, Ph.D. The first is frighteningly disturbing and the latter is so darn practical! I love it.

So, I’m probably going to break some kind of copyright law by posting the “41 Superfoods for Power Eating” from Applegate’s book here in my blog, but it’s a list that I want to keep around with me for a long, long time. It’s a list I want to work towards eating from on a regular basis. When I’m in the on-season, I’m pretty good about eating and thinking of “food as fuel.” But when the cold sets in and I get a little lax, so does my consumption. Pizza and burgers and fried chicken are really tasty, you know what I mean?

So as 10 lbs. have crept in during this off-season of mine, I’m thinking I should not only be doing drills and working on swimming technique and running form, but I should also be running through the gamet of “ingestion practice.” (Oh, yeah. That is my own phrase for this kind of thing.) I’m figuring that since we train and practice and drill and repeat our skills until it’s autonomous for our bodies, it isn’t insane to think we can do the same for our digestive tract. My stomach just needs some guidance and practice. So guidance and practice with a healthier food plan it’s going to get.

So, here’s “41 Superfoods for Power Eating” (pages 74-90) that I’m going to incorporate into my diet this winter:

  1. Almonds
  2. Asian Fish Sauce
  3. Bagels (whole-grain)
  4. Bananas
  5. Beans
  6. Broccoli
  7. Brown Rice
  8. Canola Oil
  9. Cereal (high fiber & protein)
  10. Chocolate (<2>
  11. Clams
  12. Collard Greens
  13. Energy Bars
  14. Fig Bars
  15. Flaxseed
  16. Garlic
  17. Ginger
  18. Green and Black Tea
  19. Kiwifruit
  20. Lentils
  21. Milk (<2%>
  22. Oatmeal (steel-cut)
  23. Oranges
  24. Oysters
  25. Pasta (wheat)
  26. Peanut Butter (natural)
  27. Pretzels
  28. Pumpkin (or any winter squash)
  29. Raisins
  30. Red Meat (flank or round steak)
  31. Salmon (and other fish)
  32. Soup (broth-based, low-sodium)
  33. Spinach
  34. Strawberries (or any berries)
  35. Sweet Potatoes
  36. Sweet Red Peppers
  37. Tofu
  38. Trail Mix (”tropical” versions)
  39. Turmeric
  40. Whole Grain Bread
  41. Yogurt
Yum!

0 comments: