(Re)connections & Coming Up: Cycling Long Island

I started looking at some of my old blogging friends' blogs again: Libor, Eric Ford, Kyliee, and discovered that Eric is back! He just started back in around April/May after a few years hiatus. Go figure. Maybe he, Vollenda, and I all just had a little burnout or needed some time to miss triathlons to get "it" back. Although, to be honest, this training thing is a lot harder to do than I last remembered. :)

The BIG excitement this week would be that I got a new commuter bike! It's the Schwinn World Tour Commuter bike and it was delivered Saturday ... but I didn't (and still don't) have time to put it together until Wednesday or Thursday of this week. I was hoping to assemble it over the weekend, but between being ill, resting, and doing chores, it just never happened. I also didn't do much exercise over the weekend. I rode Amelia for 45 minutes on Saturday and didn't push my HR higher than Zone 3. Mostly, I slept and rested a lot. I did a ton of laundry. That's okay, I obviously needed it.

Speaking of being lazy ... This weekend in the garage I uncovered a set of new racing wheels STILL IN THE BOX that I bought last November. How come I never got around to putting these on? I guess I kept thinking that I just needed a racing bike to put them on--Ha, ha! Yeah, I could be that, but I'm starting to think that I really am lazy! :) Maybe, I'll finally get both of those things done this week ...

On the work front: I'm instructing lots of pedagogical workshops this week. Today is the only "slow" day I have ... but I do have a 1/2 day off on Friday and Monday! On Friday, I'm heading up to NY to participate in the Long Island Harbors Ride. Florin and I will be riding 50 miles on Sunday for the event and I'm really looking forward to it. It's so nice to get out of town and ride sometimes! I love the local rides, but there's something so cool about doing an event somewhere far away. You know what I mean?

I also recently joined the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy and have fallen in love with the idea of going on a transcontinental ride. (Not all at once, but sections and pieces at a time.) I especially love the "find a trail" site they have, TrailLink: http://www.traillink.com/. This is awesome!

So, I'm planning to run easy tonight (but I feel so sluggish and bloated today--what's up with that?) Tomorrow, an easy social ride. Wednesday, I hope to ride at a moderate intensity. Thursday, I plan a 2+ hour ride down to the New River with Florin with lots of breaks along the way. Friday and Saturday will be off days. Lot's of leg work as you can see, but I still need to squeeze swimming in somewhere. I don't know why I abstain from it ... it's not like I hate to swim ... I guess it's that whole "lazy" thing again!

What do you have planned for the week?

0 comments: