My Triathlon is this Weekend! Hooray! Send Good Thoughts! :}

Well, I'm writing a mass blog post to say (1) thanks for the support many of you have given already and (2) please send support in the form of thoughts and prayers and supportive emails for my very first triathlon that happens this weekend! I'm very excited and even a little nervous--but I KNOW I can do it! (This is after all, the first of three I'm doing this Fall.)

If anyone wants to know the details of it again here it goes:
I've been training regularly which means 5-6 days a week, 1 1/2 to 3 hours each session, sometimes even twice a day! I've been fortunate and blessed to have been doing these past 11 weeks with three wonderful and supportive gal pals (the Tri-Athlon-Fecta!) and with the Women Who Tri Group at Chico Sports Club in Chico, CA.

The event itself is in Pacific Grove, CA (Monterey) and is on Sunday, September 11, starting at 7:00 AM. (My age group wave won't start until 7:40 AM). I am participating in what's called a Sprint Race. It is shorter than the Olympic or International distances, and I figured this would be a good way to start out. Myself and three of my gal pals will be swimming 1/4 mile, biking 12 miles, and running 2 miles -- all one after the other! ("Triathlons: The original endurance sport!")

Being my first event, I didn't train with the intention of winning or even placing, but simply to finish and to enjoy it (even if I come in dead-last)! Future triathlons, however, we will wait and see ... I'll definitely be going for Personal Records/Best.

Some of what I learned from this process:

  • Workout buddies are absolutely necessary.
  • A support group is absolutely necessary.
  • It's not a fashion show; it's about the function.
  • Road bikes are much faster, smoother, better, etc. than mountain bikes with knobby tires.
  • Road bikes cost a lot. Triathlon bikes cost even more.
  • I always seem to need more/new/better gear. Salespeople think so, too.
  • I swim pretty fast. I cycle pretty fast. I run really slow.
  • Wow! This is a lot harder than step classes!
  • Hey! This thing really is three different sports ...
  • I can swim a mile. I can cycle 30 miles. I can run 5 miles. Not all at once (yet)!
  • I can eat a lot w/o gaining weight. Yum! But ...
  • Eating healthy really makes a difference when training!
  • I don't miss fried foods and greasy spoons ... but I do miss my beer and cheeses!
  • I've lost weight "without trying." (Ha, ha.)
  • I am happier, healthier, and sleep so much better. And others have said I'm even nicer.
  • It is time consuming and demands time, attention, and dedication.
  • I like it. It is addicting. I'm sticking with this sport.
If anyone would like to come along for the event to cheer me and my friends and sister on, all the information can be found at Tri-California's website at http://www.tricalifornia.com/pgtri/2005/. You can also give my cell phone a ring (between 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM); if no answer just leave me a voicemail and I'll get back to you.

Sincerely,

amber evans

-- Swim Long, Bike Fast, Run Hard! Have fun! --
Go Tri-Athlon-Fecta! -- http://tri-athlon-fecta.blogspot.com/

0 comments: