Hi. Meet my hummingbird heart …

On Wednesday this week, I did some base training and am perplexed by what I did (or rather didn't do) and by how my body reacts.

So, I keep reading about this thing

called base training and that's where you're supposed to work on your

aerobic range. I'm thinking, "Cool! I get to exercise at an easy pace

and stay within my range and build up to be better and stronger next

season." Sounds simple enough.


And it is as long as I'm assuming that I have a normal heartrate

like everyone else. I'm 28 years old. I'm in great athletic shape

(having just finished my first Tri season). According to all those

guideline ranges I keep reading, I should working out between 135-155 bpm. That seems

reasonable. Sam is easily within those ranges whenever we workout

together. My HR monitor had been broken most of the season, so now that it's functioning I'm able to see what I'm working at myself.


Sam, I am not. There must be something wrong with me, because

my heart seems to think it's natural aerobic range is 155-175 bpm. Her's is down at 135-145.

We do run between 5.5 and 6.0 mph, but ... I don't see how that could make a difference? When Sam and I run together, 155 is where my heart rate immediately

goes up to, and hovers around there. I don't feel winded, pushed, tired,

beat-up, or anything. I can carry a conversation without any trouble

while running within my "natural" range. Anything above 181 becomes a little too hard to sustain, and 191 is what I consider to be "vomitland" (yes, I've been there before).


To be in the recommended range of

135-155, I have to walk. (Granted, it's walking uphill and pumping my

arms, but, "Come on!" Walking? I didn't bust my butt all season to walk. Do you understand what I mean? I'm having a really hard time telling myself this is what should be done.)


Has anyone else done base training like this before? Does this really work?

0 comments: